Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Master of Photorealism



Self-portrait

CHUCK CLOSE
Tribute
Whitney Gala 2010

What makes me incredibly happy and filled with lust for life is when I see people who is having a great through whatever could have limited them.
Chuck Close is one of them, of all the guests at the annual Whitney Gala dinner last night I think he was the one who had the most fun! 
Guests like Jeff Koons, Jane Seymour, Tony Bennett and Glenda Bailey (who sat at my table) were there. At the dinner we got gift certificates at Saks Fifth Avenue, which I to my horror think I lost....
(how mad, I am at myself). Feeling quite young at the upstairs dinner, one felt much older as soon as we ventured downstairs to party, where there were a much younger crowd dancing to whatever the DJ's from the Roots played.

There was also Chuck Close dancing and laughing in his wheelchair. Chuck Close had a spinal artery collapse in 1988 that left him severely paralyzed, but that never stopped him from continuing his creativity. I am therefore tributing todays post to him and for the inspiration he should be to all of us.

Kate Moss (2003)
ink-jet print

Chuck Close is defying his disabilities by having found other ways of using his creativity like painting with a brush taped to his wrist. 

Chuck_close_rug_1
Lucas (Rug) 1993
Silk and linen


A young Chuck Close in front of a portrait of Philip Glass 
(from a photo of the composer from 1969)


chuck_close_emma.jpg
Emma (2002)

I am ending this post with "Emma" and the pure innocence and happiness that this painting is showing.
Can I tell you how in awe I am about this warm and kind looking genius of a man?

With Love
Kristin

16 comments:

  1. All those pieces are beautiful and I could look at them all day long...They are so incredible but I am in love with Emma...That pure happiness...awww..

    Btw: ohh you really lost your gift cert? I hope you will find it..
    Kisses,sweetie

    Ps: I am hosting a ban.do headband GIVEAWAY today! Please, join in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't help but have a big grin on your face after seeing "Emma!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring post to a great artist and also great human spirit! I love these selections you've picked, the Emma is so happy :)

    And the dinner sounded fabulous - I do hope you find the gift certificate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These pictures are just fantastic. Loving the 1st one for sue. :)SArahD

    ReplyDelete
  5. i appreciate seeing the photo of chuck standing. i've never seen, or even thought to consider him sans chair....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to have seen this. He is amazing, not at all overrated, either, IMO. Stunning stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made my evening Kristin. Amazing man and artist.
    The gala sounds so wonderful. I'm glad you had a good time. I hope you find your gift certificate soon!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love how he takes photography to a different level...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous. Loved these. Great post.

    http://redumbrellachronicles.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are stunning, the gala sounds amazing. I'm so happy you commented on my blog, I'll definitely be coming back here ...oh and to your book blog (when I have time to read haha, I'm gonna need some good recommendations ) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that description - warm genius!

    Oh and it was somewhat nice to break away from the usual topics and think about the people behind the blogs and the very important people in our lives too. Hope you got to connect with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loooooove Chuck Close!
    Fabulous post, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post Kristin!
    you made my day!
    thank you and happy week

    ReplyDelete