Wednesday, November 3, 2010

HOUSE


JAMES CASEBERE
Sean Kelly Gallery

Yesterday, it was finalized. We are moving to LONDON in January. I am so excited! I can´t believe it is only two months to go before I leave America after nearly 15 years. Almost half my life... I will miss this Country, that has been so good to me!

We will have to find a new HOUSE to live in. But, where? Putney? Wimbledon? The question is still open....

James Casebere, seems to be collected by all the large Museums right now. At the Sean Kelly Gallery in Chelsea you can see his newest work "HOUSE" and also some of his past work from the early 90´s.
These photographs are from a series called "Landscapes with Houses" produced in 2009/2010.


This might look simple when you first view it, but it has a whole complex architectural aspect behind it. After what I understand it all is an extensive large model built over two years that has been lit and photographed from different angles. The model is inspired by the Duchess County in New York.
The pictures ends up having a sort of abstract feel to them since they are lifeless. Everything is there, even burning fire, except humans and animals.



They touch me somehow, reminding me of the endless suburban environments that exist out there.
It also comes off as slightly scary, is this a reaction to the "American Dream"? A dream that to some has turned out to be ruined by bankruptcy? where many has sustained themselves by living on Credit?

James Casebere, is definitely an artist of our time, and I think he will be representing it for a long while.

With Love 
Kristin



14 comments:

  1. OH my gosh, I'm soo excited for you! (I actually lived in Putney for a while, so am happy to answer any questions about the neighborhood - it's pretty decent and more affordable than central London, I'm even thinking of writing a post about it! :)) How marvelous and wonderful - congratulations! And now back to the other piece here, haha, the wonderful houses - thanks for sharing this artist, what terrific work. And timely.

    Btw, I can *finally* follow you - thanks to the computer doctor who came by yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...That is so exciting...My mom lives in Reading, just short drive from London...I bet you will love England:)..I am really happy for you:)
    Btw: This is such an amazing post. Totally agree with you:) Gives an inside to the suburban environments.
    Yay! So cool
    Hugs and kisses

    Ps: I am hosting a sweet GIVEAWAY today, please join in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing Kristen!!!! Amazing! Have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spennende! Har du virkelig bodd nesten 15 år i USA? Jeg skriver på norsk, så får de som er nysgjerrig bruke google translate :-) Sorry :-), men det gjør det mye enklere for meg å kommentere! På sparket ihvertfall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful about your move! I can tell you are so excited and what fabulous new art adventures you are about to go on. Fantastic!
    Thanks for the review of James Casebere. His work is very interesting and enjoyable. I love seeing how other artists think.
    As always, I appreciate you bringing it to us here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Such an adventure ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is great- Good luck with your move!
    I do like this series of Houses- Makes me sing the theme song of Weeds-
    Little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky...
    Did you ever watch the show?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Ah suburbia...scares me too.
    Londonnnn!!!! So that was the big secret! so EXCITING!!! Can't wait to follow this new adventure :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! Wow, you are going to have so much fun!!!

    http://jennymayandswede.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 2nd one is so cool- love the view.

    PS: Congrats on the moving confirmation! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So exciting about the move ~ congrats, darling!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm so happy for you and hope it's the best move for your family... sad that I didn't get to hang out with you in NY though but hope the future holds either a trip for you to miami or for me to london... take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness...How very exciting! I can't wait to see what posts come from you living in London!

    ReplyDelete