Monday, November 29, 2010

Letters

Summer Letter 

Brice Marden
Letters (2006-2010)
Matthew Marks Gallery

Don´t underestimate Brice Marden, he is supposedly the 4th richest artist in the world.
Right up there after the greatest "Star" Artists that we hear about all the time; Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons and Murakami. Following Brice Marden you have Julian Schnabel, Anish Kapoor (also a surprise to me) and Jasper Johns. (according to Artinfo).

First Letter

Brice Marden started his career in the 70´s with his monochromatic paintings. He was in high demand and invested his money well. His prices are still strong, and at the opening of "Letters", there were quite  a "buyer looking" crowd that turned up. Were we still using cash I am sure we could have heard the coins clicking...
The younger crowd though seemed less interested and tended to rather mingle in the lobby, on their way out...

Second Letter (Zen Spring)

Letter About Rocks #3, Blue Ground

These enormous 244 x 366 cm (96 x 144 in) Oil on linen paintings were originally inspired by chinese calligraphy from the 11th Century.  

While his MoMA retrospective was still on view, Marden embarked on a round-the-world trip. His first stop was Taipei, where he saw a Sung dynasty poem by Huang T’ing-chien called “Seven-character Verse” at the National Palace Museum.
  - from the press release, Matthew Marks Gallery

Red Ground Letter

The longer I think about these "Letters" the more they grow on me.
In the end the dancing lines feels quite illuminating.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving weekend!

With Love
Kristin

(The shown here are all inserts.)

14 comments:

  1. I really love the Marden picks you have here. Even though I've seen his work, I would never have suspected him of being right there along the knwon "star" artists (not necessarily better artists, just somehow more known). The first one is probably my favorite! :)

    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these- I think they would look fantastic as textiles-
    Crazy- fourth richest- I knew the other ones- I think that list is a clear indication that success is based on more than just talent-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, darling ~ I love the line, too!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that these are "dancing lines." Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first one, and I agree with Dancing Branflake, those are "dancing lines".
    Hugs and keep visiting my blog, too.
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete
  6. Illuminating is just the right word. They totally look like dancing beams of light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool! kinda reminds me of silly bands...lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating! I agree with Jaime- kind of like silly bands. Which makes me think that art is more universal than we even realize.
    I'll be taking the month of December off from blogging, but will be back in the new year.
    Have a wonderful holiday season Kristin!
    Enjoy Art Basil. Wish I could be there.
    Love your new profile photo! You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you liked the song. Will upload more later on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are nice, like his use of colors.
    And your name sounds very Norwegian, where are you from? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am crazy about those picks. Summer letter is my favourite:) Thanksgiving was really great and we even got our first snow:) How was yours?
    Kisses, darling

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love them!!!
    thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete