Sunday, February 28, 2010

The "Golden" End of an Era


Damien Hirst
The Golden Jubilee (Red) 2008

End of an Era
Damien Hirst is showing at the Gagosian again. This time at the Uptown Madison location.
The exhibit gives out a leaflet that begins with this dialogue:

Gordon Brown: If you want to make fun of somebody, who would it be?
Damien Hirst: God

So with "End of an Era" he seems to be playing with the thought of the end of time as much as the end of our wealth, I guess. It is then funny how he does it with help of diamonds and gold, climaxing in a Bull's Head with Golden Horn which actually bears the title of the show.

This time Hirst uses artificially made diamonds after having famously used 20 million dollars on a diamond skull in 2007 (For the love of God). Criticized for maybe having used blood diamonds, he still sold the skull for 100 million dollar, so I guess it was worth it.

I think his work has great intrigue, but some of these pieces remind me of Trump tower ornaments and that is really not my favorite part of this amazing city. 

I want to end it with a comment from a man who came up to me during the viewing.

"Ha, this is like the Tiffany of art isn't it. I don't like any of it. Give me the Lichtenstein (Entablature #4 1971) or the Walter de Maria (Large Rod Series: Circle/Rectangle 11, 1986) instead, those are the only ones I like here"

I couldn't help but laugh a little. It is just so refreshing when people speak their mind, and it happens way too rarely. Now, I didn't particularly think those two pieces were that interesting, and would have run away with a Hirst any time, but he had a point.
       Forgotten Promises                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment